Friday, April 13, 2018

Interview with Theresa Hall



Recently, I interviewed Theresa Hall. 



What made you decide to become a writer?

I think I always enjoyed writing, even as a child. It wasn’t until I quit teaching to be a stay-at-home mom with my oldest son that I decided to write my first book. Of course, it was rejected, but the editor gave me some very encouraging comments. I think her words validated that I was actually a writer.

What advice do you have for aspiring writers?

Never give up. I know that sounds like some cliché advice, but writers are so hard themselves. Another important piece of advice would be to be careful of the advice you take. Learn to have discernment when it comes to criticism.  Surround yourself with people who truly route for you and want to help you succeed. Also, never feel like you know everything you need to know about writing. Always study your craft and keep learning.

What is your favorite Bible verse? Why?

Philippians 4:13  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. 

This verse is hanging in my office. In every trial I’ve been through, this verse reminds me that Christ is my strength. As an author with an autoimmune disease, this verse keeps me going when I feel like I’m getting overwhelmed.


What do you enjoy most about writing books?

I love getting to know my characters and seeing their journey unfold. I’m mostly a plot-driven author so I get an idea first and then develop the characters around it.




www.twitter.com/TheresaLynnHall

5 comments:

  1. I love that Bible verse...and that whole chapter! :) Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Learn to have discernment when it comes to criticism." Great advice! Major changes shouldn't be made just because someone thinks your story needs that change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! I was once the young writer who took harsh criticism to heart. I’ve had to learn through the years that not all advice is for our own good.

      Delete
  3. Thank you, Katie! I love that whole chapter, too! I have that verse on my phone as a screen saver, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for having me here today, Heidi!

    ReplyDelete