Monday, May 4, 2015

An Interview with Kelli Hughett


I'm excited to interview Kelli Hughett today about her debut novel, Red Zone. Welcome to Sleuths and Suspects, Kelli! What inspired you to start writing? 

People have been telling me to write fiction all my life.  I think that I finally thought about it seriously when I was the mom of three small children and needed an escape. I needed an outlet for my creative ideas that would still allow me to spend time staying home with my kids. Why not write a novel?

Tell us about your first book. 

Red Zone is my first romantic suspense novel. I like to say, “It’s romantic suspense with a side of football.” It’s got something for every reader: Medical suspense, murder, spicy romance, high-stakes gambling, and a twisting plot that will keep you up at night.
I write suspense and romance that won’t offend your soul.

What is the best part about writing and publishing your first book? 

The best part for me is the writing. I love it. It’s my biggest stress reliever. I can sit down to write and not move for five hours. I don’t even know what time it is when I’m really into a novel plot.

Publishing has been a dream come true. The day I signed the contract with Lighthouse was a very exciting day. Seeing the cover and finally getting that hard copy in the mail are all things I’ll remember all my life!

What was the worst or hardest part? 

The hardest part by far is marketing. I’m not writing as much as I would like to be and that’s not good for my overall attitude! (ask my family!) I spend a lot of time writing blog, Facebook, and Twitter posts.

Building a platform is hard!

I have learned a lot because my publisher is amazing at helping authors learn the ropes. They provide more support than most houses and I’m blessed to have Lighthouse Publishing of the Carolinas as a partner.
I know books don’t market themselves, but I sure wish they did!

What’s coming up next for you? 

Besides more marketing? (pooh) I’m working on a regency suspense set in England, another NFL suspense, and a suspense featuring an amputee who owns a hunting lodge.


Check out Red Zone on Amazon.com or Barnesandnoble.com
Twitter: @KelliHughett

No comments:

Post a Comment