Thursday, May 9, 2013

Interview with Delia Latham


I had the privilege of interviewing Delia Latham.

Born and raised in a place called Weedpatch, DELIA LATHAM is a Christian wife, mother, grandmother, sister and friend, but especially loves being a princess daughter to the King of Kings. She’s a Dr. Pepperaholic and loves hearing from her readers.

Delia writes inspirational romance and women's fiction, and is currently contracted through White Rose Publishing and Vinspire Publishing.

author Delia Latham


When did you decide to become a writer?

I always have to laugh when I'm asked that question, Heidi. I'm not sure anyone "decides" to become a writer. Do they? I didn't. I'm fond of saying I was born with a pen in my hand, which is stretching it a bit -- but, really, just a bit!   Some of my earliest memories involve me with a pen and notepad in hand. I was constantly writing something --- poems, songs, little stories...whatever came to mind.

I read a cute little anecdote the other day about a grandfather who found his little granddaughter pounding away on his word processor. "What are you doing?" he asked her.

She replied, "I'm writing a story."

"That's wonderful, honey!" He smiled. "What's it about?"

And the little girl shrugged. "I don't know. I can't read yet."

That was totally me!

I got involved in the school newspaper as soon as I reached the required grade level, and then became a Staff Writer for a large daily newspaper as an adult. I freelanced for a quality regional magazine. Funny thing though, I never allowed myself to think of myself as "a writer" until I wrote that first novel. Silly, isn't it? I was writing all along, getting a byline, but I wasn't a writer in my own mind. Maybe I can talk some other writer out of doing that to themselves.

How many books have you written?

Counting the shorter works, and those already contracted but pending publication, fourteen. And I'm working on two at the moment.

Lexi's Heart - a Special Mother's Day Romance


Tell me about your latest release.

LEXI'S HEART is the kick-off story for "part two" of the ongoing Heart's Haven collection. Heart's Haven Holidays, again written by four separate authors, is a collection of holiday-themed tales built around the same East Texas location...a cottage-rental complex called Heart's Haven.

Here's a blurb:

Her Heart. His faith. Love reborn.

Forty-three-year-old Lexi Carlisle’s abusive marriage ended three years ago. Deeply scarred by the experience, and helplessly watching her beloved mother succumb to Alzheimers, Lexi is devastated. After selling her fancy home, she rents a cottage in Heart’s Haven, a special place unlike any other. Slowly learning to live again, she despairs of ever delivering the message of love that burns within her heart for her ever-worsening mother. But Mitch Gaynor, a handsome Christian author, reminds Lexi that with God all things are possible, planting within her battered and distrustful heart the seed of hope for a miracle. But can she open her fortressed heart to God? And is Mitch a part of His plans for her future?
         
What is the major theme of the book?

This one is a Mother's Day story, with Lexi's romance at the heart of it all.

How do you balance writing along with your other responsibilities?

I'm very blessed to have a wonderful husband who supports my writing completely. He is the cook in our house (and a very good one!), but he also takes on a large portion of the other responsibilities, as well, when necessary. If I'm on a deadline, and crunching to get something written and turned in on time, he lets me focus entirely on that. I can't imagine trying to do everything else and write.

How can readers contact you?

I'm very easy to access, and I love hearing from my readers.  I invite them to connect with me at any of the following locations:



1 comment:

  1. Heidi, what a pleasure to be your guest on Sleuths and Suspects! I'm neither of those things...but I see a romance writer can be comfortable here as well. :) Thank you for the invitation and the cyber-hospitality.

    ReplyDelete