Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Interview with Bethany Macmanus



1. When did you start writing? What inspired you to become a writer? 

I started writing when I was in elementary school. Poetry and two-page short stories were first, followed by a novella in middle school. I think writing was in my genes, because my father wrote skits when I was little, and continues to write plays for church. He writes mostly humor, though. I've never felt I have the knack for humor.

2. Tell us about Nerve, your latest novel. 

Nerve has a lot of medical thriller elements, though technically it's a romantic suspense. Lauren "Wren" Masterson is the environmental photographer heroine, coupled with her small-town cop hero, Lieutenant Justin Breck. Their story goal is to find out who stole her father's medical invention and why he is using it to kill people.

3. How were the writing and publishing processes different this time from your first novel, Six Solitude Road? 

This time I released the book with an online party which included movie trivia, recipes and prizes. It was fun, but a LOT of work. I gained a precious handful of new readers, who I love! However, I don't think I will be doing it again. The return on investment wasn't large enough to warrant a repeat.

Also, this time the book has been released across all platforms: iBooks, Nook, and Amazon (instead of Amazon only). This is also something I'm not sure I will repeat. Being brutally honest here, I can count the ebook downloads from the other platforms on one hand.

4. What made you choose indie publishing over traditional? 

I have a large indie support group, for one thing. Also, I love having control over my book's design and cover. And, if I do it right, I stand to receive a much bigger profit off my books with indie than with traditional.

5. What's coming up next for you? 

I'm currently hard at work on the book following Six Solitude Road, titled Seven Sentinel's Gate. It will follow my character, Allison Reese, to California where she will have to tackle her past head-on. 

I'm also working to drive more blog traffic by doing book cover modeling shoots for independent authors. I know how to sew and do vintage hair and makeup, and I have connections with other models and a wonderful photographer. I'm working to bring all possible options to the table for authors to have AMAZING covers!

You can find Nerve here: 

No comments:

Post a Comment